giovedì 2 agosto 2012

Who are you?

I really don't know whether being how I am is good or not.
I grew up convinced that being always sincere, direct (which doesn't mean disrespectful), open hearted, plain and simple is good.
It seems there's something wrong, though.
If I think about all the times I've been downright straightforward, I can't find a single occasion when this has brought me anything good at all.
It seems like people like lies, innuendo, half truths (if any truth at all). But why? Is it fear? Is it so shocking to find someone who doesn't feel like hiding his thoughts, his feelings, or his inner self? Is being honest so despised by everyone?
Why do people always think you mean some kind of harm when you speak frankly? Why do feelings scare so much? I mean, I know there's a lot of pain at stake, but still...

Should I be afraid of myself? But I'm harmless, I am a decent Man, so why should I be afraid of myself or other people's reactions? Why can't I be myself, or why do I have to be blamed for things that are commonly referred to as "qualities"?

I tried to learn to be, as they say, "diplomatic". But I've found this diplomacy to be only a nice name for "lies".
If I hate you, why shouldn't I say so? If I don't trust you, why should I pretend while watching my back? If I have a crush on you, why shouldn't I express it? It wasn't impolite to tell someone that I didn't want him with me on a trip because he misbehaved by almost breaking my camera, it was simply honest.  And I could find 10.000 other examples.

Believe me, everyone, I wish I were able to deceive, to pretend, to play a part and breach everyone's heart. Everyone likes to be loved or admired or simply liked, I think. But if I pretend, if I wear a mask, is it me they like/love/admire, or someone else? Isn't it, in the end, as if people would like someone else, instead of me?

I'm very displeased and sorry if my actions or words have offended or scared or embarassed anyone. Yet I think I haven't done anyrhing wrong, if being honest is still no crime.
Still, people, if you like pretenders... That's not me. And I'd add: who is more "dangerous"? Me or a pretender?

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento